sobota, 18 marca 2017

Interview with Jaymi Hensley (Union J)

Jaymi Hensley is a member of a British boy band Union J, which was formed in 2011. The band has already released two albums "Union J" and "You Got It All – The Album" and they are now working on a third one. Jaymi is also after theatre school and was training gymnastics when he was younger. In the interview, he is talking about his adventure with music, passion for acting and future plans.

The members of Union J: Josh Cuthbert, Casey Johnson, JJ Hamblett and Jaymi Hensley

Your career as a musician started in "The X-Factor", where you and your band Union J reached the fourth place, but I know that your love for music has a much longer history. Did you sing a lot as a child? Do you remember your favourite songs from childhood?

Absolutely music was a huge part of my childhood. My mum is a beautiful singer and remember in the car always singing along to Céline Dion with her – that's where I get my love for belting a big note from haha.

In 2016 there was a big change in Union J - you have a new member Casey Johnson, who replaced George Shelley. You are now working on your third album, the first one with Casey. Do you feel the difference in the band's sound? Was it difficult for you to find a common musical denominator?

There is a big difference in the sound but I think it has more to do with progression of the music industry and us as artists, and tastes, rather than the change in line up! I think music is subjective to how you feel at that moment in time and I think current chart music has a huge influence on that.

Three months ago you had an opportunity to perform in France, Holland and Switzerland for the very first time. What was the most exciting thing about performing in mainland Europe and can we expect more such performances in the future? 

100% it was a dream come true to come to mainland Europe, seeing fans who have supported us for years without ever getting to see us. Meant so much to know people really believe in what you have passion for.

Apart from being a member of Union J, you are also a good actor - you are after theatre school and you played Peter Pan in the White Rock Theatre's Christmas pantomime in Hastings. Would you like to do more acting in the theatre and films?

Acting and musical theatre is a huge passion of mine and is what I trained to do when I was younger, so I do like to indulge in that passion and I'm very lucky to be in a position to do so:) Hopefully I can pursue all aspects of my career fitting in around Union J, because Union J is my baby that I started in my bedroom six years ago, so will always be my first passion.

Talking about art, I know that you also did ballet and gymnastics when you were younger, but you resigned when you had broken your wrist. What are your favourite sports now - do you still practise gymnastics at home in a less professional way?

Not so much sport after my accident. It lead me from gymnastics to ballet and dance, which clicked with me a lot more and had so much more of a passion for it to express myself through dance. I do still dance but not as much as I'd like to :)

There are a lot of great things happening in your life - new gigs, new album on the way and many more... What are your main aims for this year? Do you want to surprise your fans with doing something completely different and unusual?

I just want to prove that hard work, determination, passion and love of singing and music pays off. When you are lucky enough to be given a life where you get to do what you love everyday, you never give up pursuing it and giving back to the people who make it possible for you to do so.

Thank you for the interview.

Thank you and cannot wait to be in Poland and meet all our incredible Polish fans <3

The members of Union J: Casey Johnson, Josh Cuthbert, JJ Hamblett and Jaymi Hensley

If you want to learn more about Jaymi Hensley and Union J, please visit the band's official website:
https://www.facebook.com/unionjworld/

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz