piątek, 7 listopada 2014

Interview with Anette Olzon

After a longer break I'm back with the next interview. This time I have an honour to interview Anette Olzon, the former vocalist of Nightwish, who recently have started her solo career and has a blog where she show people how to achieve their goals and appreciate life. In the interview Anette goes back to her interesting adventures with the symphonic metal band, her musical inspirations and life mottos.

(photo: Annicka Photography)
Before you started your international career in Nightwish, you performed in musicals, sang in choirs and were a singer in the Swedish band Alyson Avenue. How did your adventure with music started and how did you end up in the symphonic metal band? 

I have always loved music and been singing and this is from a very early age. I was 1,5 -2 years old my mother has told me, when I sat and sang different sounds only but all the time and from that I then sang and made up my own songs. I loved to sing while walking home from school and my songs were made up along the way and could be about anything=) My family is a family of musicians and my mother sang in different bands and already at a young age I joined them at gigs and watched and learned from mum. Then I started going up to sing with the band from 10 years of age now and then and also started to compete in talent shows to get more experience. When I was 16 years old I joined my first band and from that I´ve just done so many various things as you say. How I could turn up in a symphonic metal band was because I wanted to be a full time singer and my friend who listened to that kind of music told me they needed a new singer and I applied and got the job.

As a Nightwish singer, you've been all around the world. Which performance do you find the most memorable? Do you remember any funny moments during your concerts with the band? 

There has been so many nice ones and seeing the world has been wonderful and also educational. So many different cultures and people have made me so much more open-minded towards different cultures and it also made me appreciate and love Sweden so much more. Most memorable performance is hard to name only one cause there has been many but Hartwall Arena was really nice and also our gigs in Sweden, like Metaltown and Getaway Rock Festival. And Nokia Theatre in New York the second time around was great! Funny moments: well, Marco could always say some weird stuff spurred from the moment and they could be really funny and also sometimes very inappropriate so we all burst out in laughter. And those moments when something really happened that shouldn't! Like when our engineer guy by accident pulled out a cable during our gig at Rock am Ring, in front of 70 000 people, and MTV filming it. Or Marco not remembering any single lyric to Islander and we had to start all over again. We are all humans and things happen=)

During your time with Nightwish you had to sing not only your own songs, but also some of the songs that used to be sung by your predecessor Tarja. Which song was your favourite one to sing and which one was the hardest? 

I love Ghost Love Score and Higher than Hope. They are both really special to me. Hardest were some of the ones I never did live but tried at home. Songs where Tarja used her classical voice and where it for me with my belting voice was to high to sing. If we had lowered or changed the key in many songs that would had helped me overall with the old material.

In your new solo album "Shine" you show that we can always find light in our life even our life is dark and full of sadness. What is your life motto and how do you overcome your fears and weaknesses? 

My motto is my grandfathers motto: "Live life easy" which means living life in a light and positive way with positive attitude towards everything, even harder things. Negativity is not doing anything better but a bright and happy attitude can! I have so many fears and weaknesses and I struggle with them almost daily. I try to go against them if I can, I push myself to do stuff I think is hard or out of my comfort zone. But I also accept the weaknesses I do have and give myself some slack and accept myself as I am.

All of the songs in your solo album are based on the events from your life. Which of them is the most special for you?

They are all special to me in different ways so I can't choose one.

I know that you have a wide range of music taste - from musicals to symphonic metal. Which artists are your greatest musical inspirations? 

I love great singers with feeling in their voice, like Sting, Barbra Streisand, Emelie Sandé and many more and most important is that the music and voice touches me. Then it doesn't matter what genre it is.

On your blog you share your passions with your readers: improving physical fitness, cooking, fashion etc. What is your favourite hobby besides singing? 

Crossfit and clothes=)

In November you will perform four gigs in Spain, you also mentioned on your Facebook account there there is an upcoming duet with a foreign band. What will be the next step in your musical career and is there any chance that you'll perform in Poland soon? 

No Poland in the plans, no. I have gigs coming up but I also have other things to do next year within music that I can't reveal yet.

Thank you very much for the interview. 

Your welcome=) Thanks for your interest in me=)

(photo: Annicka Photography)

If you want to learn more about Anette, check out her blog:
http://anetteolzon2.blogspot.com/

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz